Benefits of using Airbnb for company accommodation
One of the main benefits of using Airbnb for company accommodation is the cost savings. Airbnb accommodations are often much cheaper than traditional hotels and offer more space and amenities, making them an excellent option for companies with a tight budget. Additionally, many Airbnb properties are located in residential areas, giving employees the chance to experience the local culture and lifestyle.
Another benefit of using Airbnb for company accommodation is the flexibility it offers. Airbnb properties come in all shapes and sizes, from private rooms to entire apartments or houses, so companies can find a space that suits their specific needs. Airbnb also allows for longer stays, which is ideal for employees who may need to work on a project or attend a conference for several weeks.
Potential problems a company may face when booking Airbnb properties
Despite the benefits, there are also potential problems that a company may face when booking Airbnb properties. At this stage, there is not a business version of Airbnb.
Lack of roles and company permission control
For example, there is no ability for different users in a company, such as guests, bookers, and finance, to have different levels of access or control. This can create issues if multiple people require access to the property information or payment details. Equally, setting budgets or financial controls is not possible as you would hope any corporate or business travel should provide.
There is no issue with a single booking - however, booking repeat bookings or multiple houses can also be challenging. Airbnb offers limited features for managing multiple bookings, so companies may need to deal with a lot of administration. If your employees return home at weekends, which is not uncommon, it means every Monday to Friday booking is handled individually. Scale this across multiple teams or large groups with multiple properties at once and you have a lot of admin to manage for no value.
Payments must be made in advance on a credit card, which is not ideal for companies that prefer to pay by invoice. Following on from the additional administration point, this also means a separate payment for each booking.
Potentially lower quality
Lower quality than traditional hotels as Airbnb is not required to maintain a certain standard, and there is a potential for damage or wear and tear that may not be covered by the host's insurance policy. Inability to customize accommodations is another downside of using Airbnb for company accommodation since the furnishings and amenities in an Airbnb property are pre-set, like a company let would be.
Lastly, Airbnb's customer service is limited compared to traditional hotels, which may cause problems if an urgent issue arises while staying at an Airbnb property. Airbnb guests are responsible for any damage caused during their stay, which could become costly for businesses.
An Airbnb alternative for companies?
Comfy Workers is built to solve the problem of companies booking Airbnb or Short-Term Rentals for their employees. Its features are designed and built to make booking business accommodation for your team easy.
- Multiple user roles in the same company - This means finance and admin users can control limits, bookers can book & manage accommodation, and guests get all check-in information and can report issues. The result is far simpler management of you booking for all.
- Cheaper pricing - Due to the longer-term nature than typical Airbnb bookings, our rates are often cheaper on comparable properties. Afterall, many of our hosts are the same - so it wouldn't surprise us if you found the same property cheaper on Comfy Workers than Airbnb. We also have a direct host and property base, so unlike many accommodation and corporate housing agents we don't use another middle agent to find accommodation. Again, this just means cheaper prices for our clients.
- Recurring bookings and grouped properties - Unlike Airbnb, a single booking can contain multiple Monday to Friday weeks, or multiple properties at the same time. Less admin, easier management.
- Consolidated invoicing - Just like bookings, invoices are consolidated monhtly so as all properties on a booking are sent on a single invoice. The option of pay by invoice is also available.
- Configuration flexibility - Whilst the layout cannot be significantly changed, bed configuration often can with options available twin or double bed options.
- Dedicated account manager - You get a single point of contact, all backed up by a support & service team. This means someone in the UK that you know will be able to assist you. We know booking accommodation isn't always easy, so we want to be there to help you when you need.
- Accident protection - Accidents can happen sometimes, especially when a group of workers stay away from home for work together. WHilst the liability if of the company, built in insurance to cover larger accidents is provided for a nominal nightly fee to give you protection and peace of mind.
You can see all the benefits and features in our product summary page.
While Airbnb can offer significant benefits for companies looking to save money on business accommodation, it's essential to understand the potential pitfalls and problems that may arise. As such, companies must weigh the pros and cons and the specific needs of their employees before using Airbnb for business travel. Are the cost savings worth the potential risks and challenges? The answer to this question is different for each company. Ensure to keep these issues in mind when considering Airbnb for company accommodation.